Materials And Mounting Options For Bathroom Sink Vanity
A bathroom sink vanity can be a focal point and establish the style and decor of your bathroom. Bathroom sink vanities come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors and styles and can look like pieces of art besides being functional. Colored bathroom sink vanities will cost more as will units that have delicate designs that are hand-painted.
- 0.1 Bathroom sink vanity cabinet can be mounted on the countertop in several ways:
- 1 Bathroom Sink Vanity
A bathroom sink vanity made of porcelain or vitreous china finish will be heavy, durable, imprevious to water and mildew, but it can chip if you drop a heavy object on it.
Stainless steel and metal bathroom sink vanities are durable and easy to clean, but they tend to become scratched with daily use and show spots obtained from hard water and soap. Fiberglass, acrylic sinks, culture stone or marble can all be molded into very beautiful shapes, colors and patterns, but they are more susceptible to scratches and chipping than other bathroom sink vanity types.
Bathroom sink vanity cabinet can be mounted on the countertop in several ways:
1. Self-Rimming or Surface-Mounted Sinks – the sink bowl gets dropped into a hole, but the hole is slightly smaller than the outside rim of the sink, forming a seal with the countertop surface.
2. Rimmed Sinks – the sink is dropped into a hole in the countertop, and the rim joins the sink and the countertop, forming a seal with a metal strip.
3. Undermounted Sinks – the rim is attached to the bottom of the countertop creating a very clean look to the vanity.
4. Integral Sinks – one piece sink and countertop unit made from the same material. The only disadvantage to this style is that if any part gets damaged, the entire unit needs to be replaced. These sinks are usually made of stone, faux stone or solid surface-type material.
A bathroom sink vanity cabinet provides countertop space, a place for the sink and faucets and storage below – these are called vanity-mounted sinks. You can also find pedestal sinks, wall hung sinks and freestanding sinks. Vanity mounted sinks are popular because they provide storage, a place for the sink and the most countertop space. Pedestal sinks use very little floor space, they can be placed in corners and they have a classic look, but they lack storage space. Wall hung sinks have the advantage of being easily installed at various elevations which accomodates children, short or tall adults.
Bathroom sink vanities provide a perfect place for shaving, washing, shampooing, and brushing your teeth and personal grooming. Sizes of sinks vary from 12×20 inches to some that are as large as 33 inches in diameter, depending on the shape. If you and others in the household will be using the bathroom sink vanities considerably on a regular basis, consider the sizes and styles carefully before making your selection.
Whether upgrading an existing bathroom or planning a new one, the bathroom is a good home improvement investment. You and your family and guests will enjoy the bathrooms in your home every day. And should you ever sell your home, attractive and functional bathrooms will add value to the selling price. Before you buy, read as much as you can on choosing the bathroom sink vanity online or in stores that will be the best for you and your bathroom.